Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Mindfulness

When I was studying cello with Steven Elisha, he used to talk to me often about the importance of being mindful of the present, experiencing things as they actually are...in the moment. He would say during every lesson, "Be here now". I didn't really get it then, but I do now. It is important to aknowledge the now, the present moment, and just live it, not passing judgement on it.The more I pay attention to the now, the more focused my designs become. I become more active in the process and creation, and that balances my intuition. The true spirit of the design comes through. When I am in my studio and it is just quiet, I take notice and appreciate that I have a quiet moment to enjoy. Being in the present means no feeling bad about the past, and no worries or stress about the future. It's about "now". I have a better attitude about pain as well. I have chronic migraines. Instead of having my hands on my head and saying, "Why, why, why?!" "Why do I have to be in pain?! Why?" I just accept it and do whatever I have to do to put myself in a position to where the migraine might lessen. The whining and complaining (even though it's only in my mind) does nothing but make the pain worse and I just focus on when is the pain going to end. When I just accept it as "Yes, this is what I am doing now. It's bad, it's painful, I feel sick. But it won't last forever." I get less sick and generally resolve the headache sooner. Ask yourself. Are you in the now? What would happen if you were to focus on exactly what you are doing or how you are feeling, in this exact moment? For most of us, the now isn't nearly as bad as what we focus on in our past. And it certainly isn't as bad as the things we worry will happen in the future. So, take a deep breath and think about now for a moment. You'll probably feel better.

No comments: